Daphne in the wood (bromantic) wrote,
Daphne in the wood

  • Location:
  • Mood:
  • Music:

18/3/2006 The Beginning of the Mulu Mud Musical

Trees, trees, trees, oh wait, I think I see a clearing! Nope, just more trees. You’d think you would see some human inhabitation, but apparently the trees outnumber the people a good million to one (or more. I can’t be sure with figures). And the river looks like a live snake twisting on the landscape. It’s a thick orange colour (totally not the colour I pictured the river to be) that contrasts with the forest surrounding it. We got off and went straight to our hotel (national park to be accurate) and settled our payments (with some difficulty since we paid under two people). The rooms were basic as basic could possibly be, but we had no problems with them. Other than the odd discolouring of the water (we purified it later). We would have gone on a Night Cruise, but the weather obviously had other plans. So the rain came tumbling down and the Night Cruise was cancelled. Later on, I suppose it was a good thing since it cost 75 rm per person anyway (really expensive).


This is the part where we actually get it into gear and do what we came here to do. I must admit though, what I expected was quite different to what we ended up doing. For instance, I thought we would walk in muckity muck (a term we coined later on in this journey) and collapsing after the first five minutes. Surprisingly, we spent most of the trek on a wooden boardwalk. Of course, then came the Skywalk. We teetered on a rackety creaking bridge and below us was what seemed to me a million miles above the ground (a clear under exaggeration on my part). We pretty much flipped out for the entire time we were on the bridge and when we were back on solid ground, we said, “Yeah that was okay.” After that, we came back, had lunch and tried to regain the feeling in our legs. Then, at around 3, we left to see the Deer and Lang caves.

This trek too was quite smooth (probably because they were concrete walkways) and we reached at around 4:30 pm. Then we went into the Deer Cave. I don’t know if I can express what I saw there adequately enough. For one thing I can say for sure. It was REALLY, REALLY big. It gave a whole new look to the Jonah’s stay in the whale, because this cave can apparently fit 4-5 jumbo jets in it (or was it 14-15?). At the entrance was a silhouette of Abraham Lincoln (which was quite cool actually. It looked just like him). We walked in deeper into the cave and then we heard a shrill noise surrounding us. We look up and see a lot of bats. We couldn’t make out any distinct shapes. It seemed more like a mass of formless black stuff plastered onto the ceiling of the cave. The entire cave had a small stream running through it and thousands of spiderwebs decorating the rocks surrounding the pathway. We trudged in deeper into the dark (and we stumbled a lot. Didn’t break anything but our dignity. Hey, the pathways were really slippery). It got progressively darker as we went into the cave and we were acutely aware of every sound around us. At the end of the cave, we saw the Garden of Eden (or as I called, the Lost World). To me, it looked like the edge to a different dimension, one completely alien to our own.

After leaving the Deer Cave (and ogling the abnormally large spiderwebs), we went to the Lang cave which was a lot smaller than the Deer Cave (a LOT smaller). But it certainly had a lot more stalagmite and stalactite formations than the Deer Cave. They came in the oddest shapes and sizes. We saw one shaped like the Great Wall of China (as we pointed out to Viola) and there were several features that looked alien spaceships and life forms (obviously Rajeeta and I have watched too much science fiction). Most of them looked like gigantic squids and octopuses. Some looked like creatures I really shouldn’t have been imagining. But the guided tour was over before we knew and we were outside, waiting to see the bats fly out in hordes out of the Deer Cave.

Again, the weather threw a wrench in our plans. It started raining and we realized that the bats weren’t daft enough to come out in the rain, so we headed back to Headquarters, had an early dinner as well as a well earned bath. Although we did not go to sleep as early as we should have, we managed to get enough sleep (I think. I can’t speak for everyone on this).

Tell me what exactly you're commenting on. Should we add what songs we went through as well?

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.